Erie Pennsylvania History
Erie, Pennsylvania, has a long history as one of the most important cities in the United States of America. Erie is named after the Native American people who lived on the southern shore of the lake. Erie is the second largest city in Pennsylvania and the third largest in North America after Philadelphia.
In 1972, Erie won the All-America City Award for Best City in the United States and the second best city in North America. In 2012, Erie hosted a commemoration to mark the 100th anniversary of the 1812 Battle of Lake Erie, which was followed by the largest one-day parade in U.S. history, the Great Erie Parade.
The first settlement of the Eriee site began at the mouth of Mill Creek, where the French built Fort Presque Isle in 1753. The name "presque island" refers to the peninsula that juts out into Lake Erie and is now protected as Presques Isle State Park. Named after the Erie Indians, it is the same name as the fort built on the mainland by the French in 1753 and the first in the United States. A wooden replica of the original Fort Erie sailboat is kept alive in Erie County by sailing around the lake in a wooden boat bearing the name of its original owner.
President Madison and Secretary Hamilton decided that Pittsburgh was the best place to build ships in Erie and the only established means of transportation between the two cities. The early Erie Canal opened in 1811, although it was not begun until 1817 and completed in 1825. Although it is the only canal built outside Erie County, the Welland Canal opened on the other side of Lake Erie in the early 1820s.
Erie County enjoyed good overland connections connecting Lake Erie with the headwaters of the Ohio River. This prompted neighboring Maryland and New York to look for a route that would direct production from western Pennsylvania and the Great Lakes through the state to Philadelphia. When the Erie Extension Canal used the creek bed of Lee's Run to connect Erie to Pittsburgh in 1844, it disappeared from public view.
The Erie and Pittsburgh Railroad, which reached Erie in 1855, the same year that the Pennsylvania Railroad established a connection with the city, succumbed to its injuries in 1870. Southern Erie opened without much construction, and economic development grew and diversified. The city of Erie, with its sheltered harbor and population of more than 200,000 people, grew rapidly.
When war with the British broke out in 1812, Erie County became a port city and in 1813 Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, who led the Niagara and Lawrence Brigades to victory in the Battle of Lake Erie in 1818, launched a successful campaign to secure his place in the history books. The Niagara was rebuilt in 1912 and raised and rebuilt, this time in its original form, as Erie and Pittsburgh Railroad. British troops patrolled Lake Ontario and moved into Erie to track them down, the New York Times reported.
The Battle of Lake Erie decisively determined the outcome of the war between the USA and the British in the Great War of 1812 - 1818. The Niagara covered the lake when the British retreated, and after landing at the mouth of the Detroit River, she made another landing on Lake Ontario and a second one on Lake Huron.
Today, Erie would lie in a disputed triangle that Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New York, as well as the United States and Canada, claim. The land became part of Pennsylvania in 1818 after Connecticut and Massachusetts and New York made and released their claims to the federal government, which in turn sold the land to Pennsylvania for $151,600 in continental allowances.
In 1787, the development of an internal improvement plan, combined with a better understanding of Lake Erie Territory, inspired Pennsylvania officials to turn to the Confederate Congress to buy a corridor that would extend north to Lake Erie, including the port of Presque Isle. The negotiations between the Pennsylvania Congress and the Contract of Sale took place between 1788 and 1792, culminating in the signing of a treaty between Pennsylvania and Canada in 1789, which provided for the purchase of 1.5 million acres of land.
In 1903, the Erie County Historical Society (ECHS) developed and began to preserve Erie's history in a common room in the Erie Public Library. This facility on Iroquois Avenue became the Lawrence Park Branch Library and in 1905 it merged with the Erie City Library and the Erie City and County Library to form the City Library and County Library respectively.
South Erie was the result of the Lake Shore Railroad, which was completed on January 10, 1852 in Erie and was then called Erie and Northeast Railroad, later Eastern Pennsylvania and Michigan Central Railroad (EPCR) and later Michigan East - West Railroad. South Erie was incorporated as a community in 1866 and added to Erie in 1870 as an extension.